We did the southern Fried Green Tomatoes yesterday, here is the southern pie/cobbler that is amazing.
- 2 pints strawberries, halved
- 3-4 stalks rhubarb, peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- juice from 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large biscuits, halved like buns
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Add the first seven ingredients to the dutch oven, and stir together to coat fruit.
- Cut butter into pats, and distribute along the top of the strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Place biscuit halves around the top of strawberry rhubarb mixture until covered.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of biscuits, and cover with dutch oven lid, making sure there is a little space between the lid and the top of the biscuits. Take some strawberries out if necessary.
- Place dutch oven on bed of hot coals, making sure it is stable and even. Shovel coals onto the top of the lid to make an even thin layer.
- Open the lid and check the cobbler after 5 minutes, making sure not to get coals into the dutch oven. If one side is cooking faster than another, turn the oven.
- Check again every 5 minutes until the biscuits are golden and the fruit is bubbly.
- Serve one biscuit and a spoonful of fruit per person, hot.