A fun and easy twist on traditional apple pie
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 12-16 egg rolls
- 2 apples, 1 granny smith and 1 gala (about 2 heaping cups worth)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon all spice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM DIP
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- cinnamon, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Peel and chop up apples. Put chopped apples in a medium bowl and add remaining filling ingredients to bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place one egg roll wrapper onto a clean surface. Using a clean finger, brush edges of the egg roll wrapper with egg wash.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the filling across one side of the prepared egg roll wrapper. You do not want to over stuff these.
- Fold the sides over and brush with egg wash. Carefully roll filling tightly in the wrapper and press gently to seal.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and coat with a thin layer of cooking spray. Repeat until all the filling and wrappers have been used.
- Bake egg rolls for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. During the last 5 minutes of cook time, pull out and brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Put back in oven for remaining 5 minutes. Serve immediately with sweetened whipped cream.
TO MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM
In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream until it starts to thicken. As the mixture thickens, slowly add sugar until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form. I sprinkled a little cinnamon on top as well.