- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 allspice berries, ground into a fine powder
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- Place the rhubarb pieces into a medium bowl and stir in the sugar. Let the rhubarb macerate for 1 hour so that it releases its juices.
- Pour the rhubarb pieces and juices into a medium pot. Stir the ground allspice and 1/3 cup water into the rhubarb.
- Set the mixture over medium to medium-high heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the rhubarb is soft. If the mixture is too thick, you may need to add an additional tablespoon or two of water. Scoop the compote into a serving dish.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups compote.