Having grown up in Wyoming, I had never had these until I moved to Virginia. Now one of my all time favorites and this is a great time of year to make this dish.
- 4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch paprika
- Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the milk. In another dish, mix bread crumbs with cayenne and paprika. Dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the eggs, and then through the bread crumbs. Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
You can use your dutch oven as the fryerTags: tomatoes, wikis